New Drivers carwitter 700x432 - Learner driver insurance: What You Need to Know - Learner driver insurance: What You Need to Know

Car Features

Learner driver insurance: What You Need to Know

17 Jun , 2014  

Learning To Drive - carwitter

Learning to drive is an exciting time, and there’s probably nothing you’d like to do more than get out on the open road.

Unfortunately there are things to think about before you get behind the wheel of a car, and one of those things is insurance. It’s the law that you must be insured to drive a vehicle if you’re going to use it on a public road, which means it’s important to know the rules.

Learner Driver AA - carwitter

Your Instructor’s Car

Thankfully, you don’t need to worry about being covered when it comes to driving an instructor’s car, because they’ll already have the necessary insurance for any of their students to drive.

All you need to do is get in the car and do what they tell you!

Someone Else’s Car

If you’re going to be getting some additional lessons off your parents or friends if you’re old enough, then you’ll need to know that they have the necessary cover for you too.

Often, it’s a very simple case of ringing up the insurer and adding you on to the policy (and paying for it) but this isn’t always possible.

Always remember that it is illegal to drive a car that you are not insured to drive, so don’t do it, even if you think that you’ll be ok just driving slowly around quiet suburban streets.

Learning To Drive - Vauxhall Adam - carwitter

Your Own Car

If you’re lucky enough to be getting a car before you pass your test, then you’ll be needing your own policy for the car that you’re going to be driving.

It’s very important to remember here that if the car is yours, you must not tell the insurer that it is someone else’s and you’re just a named driver – this would be insurance fraud.

It’s worth shopping around when looking for insurance, because prices will vary, and you might even be able to pick up some good offers. At the moment, SKY insurance are offering policies that come with a variety of new driver aids, like DVDs and booklets.

A final point is that in any situation, you’re only able to drive under the supervision of someone over the age of 21 who has had their license for at least three years. They don’t need to be insured on the car you’re driving, but they must fulfil the right criteria.


By  -  
Owner / Editor of Carwitter - French car fiend, hot hatch lover. Follow @car_witter